Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"Author's Prayer" by Ilya Kaminsky

Kaminsky immigrated to the United States in 1993; he was born in 1977 in Odessa, former USSR. He is a professor at San Diego State University.

Key terms: imagery, repetition, parallel structure, emjambment
Author's Prayer
If I speak for the dead, I must leave
this animal of my body,
I must write the same poem over and over,
for an empty page is the white flag of their surrender.
If I speak for them, I must walk on the edge
of myself, I must live as a blind man
who runs through rooms without
touching the furniture.
Yes, I live. I can cross the streets asking “What year is it?”
I can dance in my sleep and laugh
in front of the mirror.
Even sleep is a prayer, Lord,
I will praise your madness, and
in a language not mine, speak
of music that wakes us, music
in which we move. For whatever I say
is a kind of petition, and the darkest
days must I praise.

This poem is a rather short, but fascinating, meditation on the power of language. Indeed, it is specifically about writing- the title mentions authoring specifically, but the title also mentions prayer, which is another powerful kind of text, whether written down or simply spoken (or thought). The poem also mentions speech, prayer, praise, laughter, petition, and music; these are all powerful kinds of texts. The poem moves quickly between these ideas and they even seem to be linked with running, touching, sleeping, and living. The belief that this expresses is such that all life is a text: spoken, unspoken, and written, and that it is all powerful. It is all influential and memorable and worthy.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Hamilton,

    I'm falling behind on all of these poems ): I've especially been missing reading them in class, and I will truly be sad when you leave our second hour. I feel like our class has grown so close to you, and I KNOW that all of us will miss the fun that you add to all of the readings and discussions. The trimester isn't quite over yet but I have spoken to numerous people who say that you will be missed, so I just thought I'd share the impact you've left on us as a class. We all love you Mr. Hamilton, and we wish you the best of luck in near future, teaching in the area (hopefully at Saline). We know you'll be well-liked be all of your students wherever you end up. Thank you for teaching with our class.

    Sincerely,
    Noah Duncan and the Rest of 2nd Hour

    P.S. Trevor is just about the cutest kid we've ever seen, and your bread is sensational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noah: How can I even begin to tell you how much this means to me? I've enjoyed our class so beyond anything I ever imagined coming into my student teaching. I'm going to try to express this in writing for you, but in a different medium. I have something planned for our last day of class :)

      Delete
    2. Mr. Hamilton, I can't find the teacher review for you anywhere )': )': )': )': )':

      Delete
    3. Oh no! It was on Moodle but now Moodle's gone!! :(

      Try this: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mra-y0duZxzUukdTvS-hNEZCV8E19Ru5BnXgx_5fkZk/viewform

      Delete
    4. Not sure if you'll see that I wrote this, but I just wanted to say hey, how's it going? I need to hear updates!! I've been missing my fav student teacher all trimester. Email me if you got this: noahdunc2@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading these comments was very wholesome thank you for that

    ReplyDelete